Application Deadline for the BTSI and NCIS awards is June 13, 2016.
Purpose: The purpose of the NANETS Clinical Investigator Scholarship is to encourage clinicians at the end of their fellowship or beginning of their faculty appointment to pursue a clinical career focused on neuroendocrine tumors. Funds also may be used cover an optional 2-4 week visiting fellowship with a NET expert.
Award Term: The NANETS Clinical Investigator Scholarship will provide $100,000 total divided over two years. Award funds will be directed to the sponsoring institution. At the conclusion of the award period, the recipient must provide NANETS with a written progress report of the project performed during the award period and a budget reconciliation.
Award Sponsor: The 2016 NANETS NANETS Clinical Investigator Scholarship is sponsored by IPSEN Biopharmaceuticals in memory of Edda Gomez-Panzani.
- Candidates must have a MD, MD/PhD, DO degree or equivalent
- Candidates must be in the first 5 years of a faculty appointment (instructor or above) in an accredited medical school or other institution in North America (must be on staff at time of award)
- Candidates must be a NANETS member
Selection Criteria: Criteria for selection will include both the clinical project itself and the potential of the individual to make future clinical contributions to the neuroendocrine tumor field. Strong emphasis will be placed on the career development plan and the applicant’s personal statements and the mentor’s development plan. The clinical proposal section should focus on a project with the potential to directly impact and improve the treatment of patients with neuroendocrine tumors. Appropriate projects would include (but are not limited to) correlative studies involving existing clinical trials, retrospective studies, a NET database, risk factors and/or any project with a clear clinical significance. If the applicant wishes to participate in the optional visiting fellowship with a NET expert, they should include this in their plan. A list of NET experts willing to host trainees in the US and Europe will be provide upon request.
Scholarship Application: The scholarship application must have the following components in the order listed:
- Title page: Applicant Name, Project Title, Institution
- Career Development Plan (1-2 pages): written by the mentor and applicant. This should include intramural coursework/seminars, involvement in cooperative groups, participation in tumor boards, description of clinical protected time and plans to attend national meetings focused on neuroendocrine tumors.
- Personal Statement by the Candidate (1 page): the applicant should include description of any past projects, evidence of interest in neuroendocrine tumors, and description of how the project will contribute to the future development of the candidate as a clinician in the field of neuroendocrine tumors.
- Mentor Development Plan (1 page maximum): the mentor should include a description of how they will enhance the applicant’s career opportunities and leadership skills, outline their role in the mentoring relationship and ability to supervise the applicant, explain how they will provide a positive learning environment to include the institutional commitment of support for the mentor’s time.
- Project Description (2 page maximum)
- Letter of Mentor Support (1 page)
- NIH Biosketch of the Applicant (2 page maximum)
- NIH Biosketch of the Mentor (2 page maximum)
- Letter of Institutional Support (1 page)
- Proposed Budget: The funds can be used to support the salary of the applicant, project costs and/or travel. Indirect expenses are capped @ 5%.
In addition to the application above, the applicant must fill out an additional 1 page supplemental information sheet available below and upload it separately as part of the on-line submission process.
Review Process: Deadline for submission of the application is June 13, 2016 (11:59 pm PDT). Submissions will be done online. You must be logged in as a member to access the application form. Click here to join or login. An email will be sent to confirm your submission was received. Applications will be reviewed by members of the NANETS Executive Committee and presented to the NANETS Board of Directors for final vote and approval. Notification to the recipient will be made by July 25, 2016 and funds will be dispersed to the sponsoring institution no later than December 31, 2016.
You must be logged in to access the application. Click here to join or login.
Disclaimer: “Funding of this scholarship is subject to the approval and availability of grant funds appropriated to NANETS. Therefore, NANETS reserves the right to alter, the number of investigator awards, terms and allowances.”